Bit This video shows the very basic operation of an often used bit by the novice and others. The bit can assist or hinder the horse and rider. There are three articles by Lee Ziegler on the bit under "Gaited Articles" on this website.
Bit - The Bridle & the Bit
- This is taken from a Dressage blog. It is a very comprehensive coverage of all bit types, nose bands, and curbs to name a few items. But is also has nav bar loaded with other topics like the "Collection" which many folks forget. The bit works the same whether you are riding dressage or pleasure on the trail. It is a long read, but probably will answer most of your questions on the bit--how it functions.
Finding the Holy Grail--Riding Gaited in a Snaffle Bit--Larry Whitesell
- Annette was asked to write about her Larry Whitesell Clinic experience. She tells a story of a life experience with various riding techniques and perceptions of how gaited horses should be ridden. It is amazing when you watch the Larry Whitesell videos or his clinic how a well trained gaited horse from the ground up does not need excessive use of a bit to get the best positive results in riding enjoyment for both rider and horse. Highlight the Title to read.
Four of the Saddle Gaits
- "Four of the Saddle Gaits" from Randall is in Battell's American Stallion Register. Volume 1 introduction page CIXXVI
- You can find a definition/description at http://gaitedmorgansassociation.com/foxtrot.php along with videos. You can also find the foxtrot demonstrated in a series of gaits on Gaited Morgan Horse magazine in this same section as a combination. Just like to make a note when the two diagonals are on the ground after sit down of the rear first and then the front initially they are at the same angle as the mark up in the definition, but as the other diagonals lift off and swing through notice the angles of diagonals on the ground will be different.
It has been a year since the first Gazette was issued. This issue has articles by Larry and Jennifer discussing: Practice with a purpose; Ending resistance; Improving your riding; and alerts for articles which will appear in the "Trail Blazer" and "FOSH" magazines. Enjoy
Observations on the Inheritance of Intermediate Gaits
- The author cautions, the comments are not based on an analysis. Only anecdotal observations of three people that are very interested in the subject and spent some time studying, thinking and talking to each other about it. These three are recognized by many as authorities in various areas of Gaited Horses in general. Highlight the Bold Title to read the article.
Here is the video for the week. We were going to try to do a sequence with a horse but due to unforeseen circumstances we were only able to do two, but we will try again with another horse:) Hope you guys enjoy the video and videos to come. Happy trails- -- Jennifer and Larry
Hey everybody its Jennifer:). Did a short video on how to do spiral in and out and how we use the aides. This is a great exercise for horse who get excited when we ask for more energy and they just keep getting faster without us holding them back but instead moving them around. I start always at walk but then may add speed. Hope you can hear me, I only had my phone over here in Germany!!
Taking Your Horse's Temperature http://www.thehorse.com/videos/30267/take-your-horses-temperature?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=health-news&utm_campaign=11-13-2012Paste the url into your browser to view.
Hollow Back Correction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uJ7SC9SdI&feature=youtu.beThis video is very good at showing a butt high young horse which shows a hollow back. Plus gives some good explanations/exercises to help alleviate. But question was part of this caused by starting to young and not understanding saddle fit. http://youtu.be/b-uJ7SC9SdI
2014-04-18 Westwind Joaquin Westwind Joaquin was ridden for the first time 90 days ago as of Friday. Went to see his weekly training progress and shoot some shots near the river. But there was a surprise presented by Joaquin and the trainer. Joaquin is a heterozygous black and a non notable by physical markings or eyes, but DNA verified splash white gene carrier. Owned by Jellico Farms Naturally Gaited Morgans 502-647-1572
2014-04-18 Westwind Joaquin After Joaquin demonstrated his ability to handle the obstacle course, he was then ridden down to the river bottoms to do some minimum trail activities. He normally fords the river at 2 to 3 feet. But it had flooded a few days before and was up between 6 to 10 feet. But the 3 mares and 1 stallion along the edge of the 80 acre river bottoms kept calling and screaming.
2013-07-04 Horse Color Genetics Jennifer M. Murdock
- Jennifer posted an interesting software program developed by Jennifer Hoffman to show the genetics of each color in a horse. If you ever questioned, what are the genetics of any color and what they mean. This software program will visually show the results.
2013-01-15 Jellico Twilight Morn This video is presented for those who adore young foals and those who always wanted a foal from their favorite mare. I will overtime develop further slide shows to chronicle the development of this future broodmare in our Jellico Farms herd. She has lot of attitude, but also likes to be touched and loved by humans and other horses.
2012-12-12 What are the gaits? Best guesses? Auggie and Becky Deschepper recently received Jellico Go Daddy (Silvershoe Sundance x Silvershoe Scarlett) chestnut colt and Jellico Rhiannon (Silvershoe Sundance x Jellico Irish Morn) palomino filly. There are four photos of the two and you will see young foals may show they are not trotting, but are going between gaits when just moving around with others. But try to imagine what the next foot fall sequence might be and make a guess as to gait. Paste the following url into your browser to see the Gaits Quiz section of Gaited Morgans Assocition to help you in the determining the gaits of these foals. http://gaitedmorgansassociation.com/gaitQuiz.php The BOLD PRINT of the heading is not needed/non functional in this case. Just watch the video by clicking the play arrow and then you can select full page to view.
2012-10-31 NuChance A New Beginning
- Paula Dennis' daughter lost her home during Hurricane Irene and the family also lost horses and the 6 year old daughter's pony. This is the story of the optimistic family.
2012-08-06 Arapho Leah, 1998, 15 2 EastWest Morgans. We really do ride with saddles sometimes. If we do not feel comfortable riding them bareback with just a halter, they are not ready for a saddle. We stopped by our little arena to take pictures of her and others when we were bringing them down from the pasture to get their teeth done. The rider is our equine dentist. He started colts on the tracks years ago and still rides bareback broncs at the rodeo once in awhile for fun.
- Debbie Strong has writeen an article providing an overview of digital art. She references programs, sources to seek out future info. Plus examples are included of some uses of digial art. Those who say I am not computer literate --- just experiment and see what you can do!
- ACTHA CTC - Some may know about this trail riding event, but for those which do not this is a quick overview. Anne had mentioned this to a couple of us over the last year. So she was asked to write an introduction to this activity which any person on a horse from child to older and all riding abilities can enjoy. Recommend you look at all the urls and especially Rick Lamb participating in a ride. If you have never watched him on RFD TV, he is very easy to follow and explains the 6 trail riding obstacles. Also note for those unable to ride any longer, this might be an activity for you to participate in as a judge or assist in the set up.
2012-07-19 Update on Projects
- Jellico Farms started updates to the farm in March 2012 to include a new hay barn, fencing, addition to barn and removal of a non function pond. Highlight the bold date time group to view a slide show of the changes.
2012-05-18 EastWEst Morgans BJ goes through a process of what most would call "natural horsemanship" in the training of her horses. She and Max do all the training from the ground through saddling and trail training. Please note the horses being lead are four year olds and not been saddle trained. Plus look at the bits which are not in the mouth of the two lead horses being ridden. It leads to a second point. It is the training and not the mouth which guides a horse and lead them to be fine performance horses for personal use.
2012-04-12 Meet Yourself Coming and Going
- A few days ago it was time to take some photos of the new foals. So had the camera inside the cab of the tractor as I was cleaning stalls. I saw this image in the windshield and thought it might be interesting to see. It shows the rock road coming down to the aisle and the green grass outside. The four of the stalls and the run in at the far side of the barn. And the image of myself. I think a good title might be "Meeting yourself coming and going." Click on the date/title to see the picturs.
2012-04-03 Jellico Rhiannon
- Jellico Rhiannon born 6 a.m. 30 March 2012 shown at 6 hours of age. She has some unusal facial markings and one hind right sock--two for two palomino fillies so far this year.
2012-03-14 Grandmother's Horses
- Adrienne Youngblood is participating in an historical journey starting May 12, 2012 at Fort Reno, OK and terminating 1391 miles later in Lane Deer, MT July 28, 2012. There will be stops as ID in the article and people are invited to join along the route. Please read the article to see the signifiance of the journey and see if they are coming near to your location.
2011-10-25 Paula Dennis Trail Ride Paula Dennis, her daughter and grand daughter with oher members of the Gaited Morgans Association attended the Annual Ride of the New York Horse Council at Brookfield, NY Fairgrounds. Video is of their ride out on the adjoining trails. Just click the play arrow to view.
2011-10-21 Pinnacle of Versatility
- Recently you received by email thoughts on using all sources available to advertise and sell your Gaited Morgan. There are those sales which come from the points discussed in this article. Additionally sales can be attributed to just doing a good job of promoting the Gaited Morgan. This promotion can be as described in this article or just the contacts you have on a daily basis with others. Highlight the title to read.
2011-08-26 Texas Drought
- Everyone has probably read and seen pictures on television of the devastating drought in Texas. Debbie was asked to prepare a power point presentation of how it is affecting her and the horses. Other portions of the country are currently drowning in flood waters and others are in some state of drought.
2011-07-28 Jellico Callie
- Iowa rescue mare B Bar D Wendys Maia arrived at Jellico Farms December 2, 2010. It was believed she was in foal, but sire was unknown or breeding dates were unknown. She had some major health issues due to the previous owner being unable to support some 41 horses correctly. The months passed and a filly was born July 19, 2011. She was small, but healthy. Attached you will see a 3 day old picture. Her dam is by Mary Mels Fudger and out of Omars Wendy. These are gaited grandparents, but Maia and the Callie show no gait at this time. Click on the title to see the picture.
2011-07-08 Debbie's Horses
- Debbie Strong is a military retiree, lives in Eastern Texas and teaches at a local University. Please Highlight the title to read the article
2011-05-15 Ride After School
- Auggie and Becky Deschepper are proud grandparents. He sent some pictures and a short narrative of his ride with granddaughter Megan yesterday. Highlight the title to read his comments.
2011-03-11 Judging Specifics for the Gaited Morgan
- Chapter 20 Independent Judges Association Rule Book used by the FOSH was written with certain concepts being covered. The most important of these was the safety of the rider and horse. Read the rest of the endeavors covered in this chapter by highlighting the bold title.
2010-10-25 Gunner In Command and Paula Dennis
- One of the interesting points of this article is the involvement of three generations of family in the love of horses. Click on the title to read. Can not be used without the permission of the website owner.
2010-08-08 Boyhood Dream
- Last month we got a weanling colt from Canada. You can read the fulfillment of a boyhood dream. Also the unique potential this colt has in terms of colors. Just copy and paste the following url in your browser to view: http:www.gaitedmorgans.com/thunder.html
2010-04-22 Peaches Jellico Farms has been looking for several years to find a daughter of Jan Mabie Pace for breeding to a grandson of Jan Mabie Pace. Both Silvershoe Highlander and Silvershoe Sundance are grandsons. Color was not a factor, but the type and disposition were first considerations followed by gait capabilities in selecting a mare.
Mary Mels Peaches was purchased by Janis Bailey as a two year old based on my recommendation. We had not communicated for a couple of years and I saw the mare advertised on Dream Horse and was fortunate to be the first caller who came to agreement for the purchase of Peaches.
She will be bred this year to Sundance and Highlander the next year. This is classic line breeding of grandson to daughter.
Click on the Bold Lettering Peaches to see a photo of the mare under saddle.
2010-04-16 South Dakota Horse Expo Demo - Gaited Morgan
- Member Pat Haynes showed her gaited Morgan Rambo during the March South Dakota Horse Expo. He was one of the three Morgans in the Morgan Breed Demonstration. Pat showed Rambo with only a halter/lead rope to demonstrate a "Naturally Gaited Morgan. Paste the following url in your browser and enjoy.
Copyright Gaited Morgan Association, All Rights Reserved